Mwana Kaviri Caves

Location Site is located on the slopes of Sagala hill at Marapu sub-location. Physical Description Three huge rock shelters/caves situated at Marapu sub-location in Sagala .The  Mwana Kaviri caves were used as a hideout for Sagallas during the Second World War in 1945. The caves were divided in three chambers to house the women/children, the old men and the young men would stay on top of the caves as guards against the women, children and the old men. The caves were also a homestead for Continue reading →

Wray Memorial Museum/Old St. Mark Church

The site is situated within Teri location in Sagalla at Latitude 03° 30′ S and Longitude 038˚ 34΄ E. Sagalla rests on a hill on which the Church was built by Mr. Joseph Wray in 1900. Sagala is the home for the first inland church by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) centre that was established in 1883. A new Church structure and the Old Church Physical Description The Old St. Mark Church measuring 60×40 ft is a unique structure that was built mainly of iron Continue reading →

Voi Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery

A consolidated cemetery with graves recovered from scattered burial places, after the war and re interred here. An Australian volunteer, Lieutenant W Dartnell VC is buried here having been awarded the posthumous Victoria Cross for gallantry near Maktau. His was initially buried in Maktau. Site Location It is situated in Voi town next to the Police station at Latitude 38° 34’ E and Longitude 3°23’25”S.  The cemetery was set aside for the burial of soldiers who died during the First World War that took place Continue reading →

Mlunguni (Mwakichuchu Secondary School)

Location Located at the compound of MwakichuchuSecondary School in Sagala, Teri. Physical Description A rock shelter, very low compared to other rock shelters, had one time been a repository for skulls of the Mrongo clan of the sagala taita. Unlike many other skull caves, the Wabasi had a lot of influence in the management of the rock shelter. Significant Values Historic The site is said to have been used a lot during the migrations of the sagala community to their present land. Spiritual The Wabasi Continue reading →

Goe Grinding Rock (Kettles)

Location   Located in the uppers side of Talio at a place called Goe ya juu. Site Description A very high, the highest tip of sagalla also called Goe ya Juu. A massive rock with hollows that the locals claim to have been grinding stones. These are actually Kettles a feature that could be about 8000yrs old and which are now refered as rock art. These features are found all over the world and could tell the history of the past. Believed to have spiritual Continue reading →

Ganjaha Rock (Goe – Lower)

Location Situated at Talio in sagala are the Ganjaha Rocks well known as the lower Goe to the villagers and its owned by the Talio clan. Physical Description A huge rock flat at the top and with a cave/rock shelter on it lower right. Significant Values Historic The site was used as a refuge and a watchtower during Masai/Kamba invasions, for the Talio Clan. Spiritual Kirindi Traditional Dance was performed for circumcision for boys and weddings and other cultural and spiritual activities were done on Continue reading →

Tumbe Cave

Location Located at Teri sub-location is the Tumble Cave/Rock which is found at a distance of 4km uphill from the murram road. Physical Description A cave in a very high and massive rock on top of the sagala hill sorrounded by a forest. Entrance of the cave covered probably by people who lived there. The cave is very long from the entrance and one is able to see “rooms” made of partitions of sticks probably to make room for livestock and humans. There seems to Continue reading →

The Snipers Baobab Tree

Located near Salaita Hill this giant tree of the plains was used by the Germans as an observation post. Legend has it that a German woman was holed up in this magnificent hollow Baobab tree, sniping at British Empire troops as they tried to attack Salaita Hill

Sagalla Skulls Cave

This site is situated about 150m east of the old St. Mark Church, at Mangula village. The burial site is one of many Taita burial caves that were used as shrines by the Sagalla people. It is believed that all the Taita groups that include the Dawida, Sagalla and Kasigau plus their neighbours, the Taveta, had a tradition of exhuming the skulls of the dead and keeping them inside caves located within hilly rock outcrops. The respective communities revered these sites and used them for Continue reading →

Bura Catholic Mission

Established in 1892 by the ‘White Fathers’ from Alsace (then part of Germany) and was the first Catholic inland mission in British East Africa (now Kenya). During the First World War the Mission staff were interned in India and the Wajomba people who were originally freed slaves that originated in German East Africa who were the porters that carried the materials for the construction of the mission they were deported to Lamu. The Mission Station was used as a hospital for Indian and African troops Continue reading →