Mbuyuni is located in Tsavo West National Park astride the road between Maktau and Taveta on the western side of a shallow valley. Started off as a British motor cyclists observation post and taken by the German on 3rd September 1914. They later fortified the area with trenches. Attacked by the British and repulsed with great loss of life on 14th May 1915, final attack in January 1916 saw the start of a slow German withdrawal from occupied British Territory. The site became a vast British military camp with a full hospital, post office, theatre etc., and airstrip.
Share with friends